Friday, April 3, 2009

THE CRUIZAH!

So I've been back from the Barenaked Ladies Ships and Dip V cruise for over a month now.

Came back home with a nasty cold. Silly me, I forgot to bring my PARKA to Florida! Goodness it was cold.

The week we were gone, Colorado had temperatures in the 70s and Florida in the 30s! The world must be coming to an end! Florida is the new Colorado!

Ok, I'm over it. I was just bitter that I had packed nothing but shorts and t-shirts and then found I had to stand outside in cold wind all week. One of the locals in Miami looked at us and said, "You guys aren't from around here are you? Where are your sweaters?"

We thought we'd be smart and save money by taking the cheapest transportation we could, so once we arrived in Ft. Lauderdale, we waited outside the airport for the free shuttle bus. Unfortunately we had to wait 45 minutes--in the cold and wind. Once the bus came it took us to the train station. The train would only cost $4 per adult and $2 per child--but we had to wait an hour and a half for it, in the cold and wind. At this point I was ready to take out everything I'd packed in my suitcase and wear it.

This is what I look like with my eyes closed. Thanks Dustin.

Once the train got us to Miami, it was to get onto another free shuttle to take us to the airport, then we waited for the hotel shuttle to arrive to take us to our hotel.

Continuing with our save-as-much-cash-as-we-can plan, we decided to take the city bus into more sight-seeing-ness territory for dinner. (The hotel we were staying at also fell into the category of cheap and so did the neighborhood). It was another 40-minute wait outside--in the cold and wind--for the city bus to show, and $1.50 per person plus 50 cents per transfer, which got us to a bus-exchange station where we had to wait a few minutes to get onto another bus which would actually get us into the part of town that was "it". This was where it was all at, the local with the sweater told us. This was where stars like Lindsay Lohan met friends at bars!

Whatever.

I couldn't care less, and I was starved. We had to walk about 4 blocks until we found a TGIF's. Our destination was also toward the beach, which we were told was within walking distance. I was hoping a burger and fries would warm me up. So we hurried and ate, wanting to get back out toward the beach before the sun went down. We walked out, crossed the street, and there it was, Miami beach. By the way, that cold wind we've been in all day now was even colder and windier right on the beach.

After about 15 minutes on the beach I couldn't feel my hands or ears anymore and suggested we head back. Back the 4 blocks to the bus-exchange place, wait 20 minutes for the bus, then back to our hotel. I was in bed huddled under the covers by 8:30 pm!

The next afternoon it was exciting arriving at port and getting on the cruise ship.
Here I am waiting in line to board the ship—thought I’d just close my eyes right off the bat and save Abby the time and trouble of doing it on purpose, ha ha. (I swear, doesn’t anybody know how to take a decent picture of me??)

That's Dustin, my ex, in the black shirt. (I have no idea who the guy in the red looking at me is).
We got on about 1 pm and the ship didn't leave til about 4 pm, so it was fun exploring for a while and then eating lunch on board.

Unfortunately while boarding I missed the opportunity to have my photo taken with Kevin Hearn--the mastermind behind the music of Barenaked Ladies. The porters keep telling you, "Don't stop, keep going. Move along. This way, this way." So while we were rushing with our luggage to board the ship, we passed Kevin unknowingly until he said, "Hi guys!"

It was COOL! If he hadn't said anything we would have whooshed right past him.

We smiled, (elated that he recognized and acknowledged us), said hi, and then ran off again like wild monkeys. It wasn't until several days later that I found out there was a photo station set up there. Not everyone would get a chance to have a professional photo taken with one of the band members--only if they were available at the time--and here we were running away! Oh well. Kevin knows how much we love him.


MORE LATER…!




No comments: